Today’s Mantra: If you always do what you’ve always done….then you”ll always get what you’ve always got
I’ve never done a detox before.
Sure I like the sound of it, but I’m not so good at depriving myself of anything or cutting down on the food.
After pregnancy I felt remarkably good after the restricted alcohol intake so haven’t thought about a detox in a while. Recently though, a glass of wine (or two) around dinner time has become a habit that I would like to break. Add that too a busy month or two of events, where I still mindlessly reach for any food that passes my way (despite my commitment to healthy living), and I need to reset my system.
Now it’s always easier to do it with a friend so if anyone’s interested in doing it as well let me know! I’m thinking next week for a two-day detox. I don’t like anything with restrictions on amounts to eat. I’m looking for a detox that promotes healthy movement of the digestive system and something that feels cleansing and energising at the same time.
So if you’re wondering if you need to detox – here is a list I found on Sally Joseph’s blog sallyjoseph.com.au
- You consume more than 6 units of alcohol per week
- You consume caffeine daily
- You often feel tired and lethargic
- You suffer allergies and or food intolerances
- You experience abdominal discomfort, bloating or flatulence
- You commonly experience pain from headaches or arthritis
- You commonly experience constipation or diarrhoea
- You suffer bad breath
- You eat non organic food
- You carry excess weight or are finding it difficult to lose weight
- You commonly suffer from sinus congestion or hay fever
- Your complexion is dull or you have dark circles under your eyes or suffer acne, eczema or psoriasis
- You experience regular PMS – painful periods, mood changes, crave chocolate or sweets
- You regularly consume processed or fast foods, including artificial additives and preservatives
- You smoke cigarettes or take drugs
- You regularly use pharmaceutical medications, including the Pill, anti inflammatories or pain killers, blood pressure & cholesterol medication
- You use chemical based skin care & hygiene products
- You regularly clean with chemical based household products
- You are regularly
We are aiming to:
- Reduce the amount of toxins and pollution into our body
- Promote healthy eating, nutrition and supplementation to help our body effectively clear the toxins
- Improve our Immune Function
- Scavenge free radicals and eliminate toxins
- Strengthen body’s fight against cancer cells and generate healthy cells in our body
- Cleanse mucous, congestion, fermentation, inflammation in our digestive tract
- Purify our blood
- Reform our lifestyle addictions for sugar, salt, high glycemic carbohydrates, alcohol, junk foods, nicotine, etc
So….am thinking I’m going to follow Dr Oz’s two day cleanse program:
The info is here: http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/48-hour-weekend-cleanse?page=6#copy , this includes shopping list and recipes.
Basically it is quinoa and prunes for breakfast, a green smoothie for snacks, a fruit smoothie for lunch and a vegetable broth for dinner. You also have the option of snacking on veges for two days as well.
Would love to start a conversation on pros and cons of this kind of detox or hear anyone else’s detox experiences before I try this!
So cheers to health living!