So it’s been decided, Thursday and Friday are detox days. I’ve recruited a few people, so to make it easier for them, me and anyone else who is going to do it, below are the ingredients, recipes and tips for the detox.
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- ⅓ cup chopped prunes
- ¼ cup rice milk
Bring the water, quinoa, nutmeg, and ginger to a boil in a small pot. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Then stir in the prunes and rice milk. Cover the pot again and cook for another five minutes.
- ½ cup almond or hemp milk (plain or unsweetened)
- ¼ cup frozen blueberries
- ¼ banana
- 1 Tbsp. ground flaxseed or chia seeds
- ½ cup ice
- 2 quarts water
- 2 red onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb (including fronds and stalks), coarsely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup sliced shiitake caps
- 1 cabbage, chopped
- 2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 whole parsley sprigs
- 8 sprigs parsley, chopped
Bring the ingredients to a boil; cover and simmer for an hour. Then remove the parsley sprigs and add the chopped parsley. Recipe makes enough for at least 2 meals
Finish your meal with fermented sauerkraut, which has probiotics that can help break down toxins in the gastrointestinal tract, and apple slices for one last dose of fiber.
- ½ cup pineapple
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves (no stems)
- 2 large cucumbers
- ½ lemon, squeezed
- ½ cup mint
- 2 artichoke hearts (from can or jar)
If you don’t have a juicer, use a blender on high; just add 1½ cups water and remove the pulp with a strainer.
A Few Pointers
Use these tips to make the most of your two-day cleanse.
1. Drink plenty of water.
2. Aim to get eight hours of sleep a night.
3. Don’t eat after 7 P.M.
4. In the evening, take a warm bath with two cups of Epsom salt dissolved in the water. The salt’s key component, magnesium, supports hundreds of enzymes in the body.
5. Before bed, sip a cup of dandelion tea. It’s been shown to have diuretic properties, which will help flush away toxins in your urine before you sleep.
6. Know that you’ll likely have to use the bathroom quite a bit in the next 48 hours, though your stool should be well-formed, not loose. And since the meal plan doesn’t severely limit your caloric intake, you shouldn’t feel tired or weak.